RECIPE: Fast and healthy turkey chili
Get a turkey sneak-peek before Thanksgiving and warm up your bowl as it cools off outside with this healthy and easy chili recipe. I love making this dish because it strikes a perfect balance between can-opener speed and vegetable-chopping freshness. It’s a good multi-source of protein (turkey and a tri-bean blend) and it keeps well for delicious leftovers.
Ingredients (there’s a lot of flexibility with this recipe, so get creative and customize the quantities to your personal taste):
- 2 - 3 lbs. of ground turkey meat
- one large or two medium yellow onions
- two large bell peppers (try one orange and one yellow)
- two 15oz cans Simple Truth organic tri-bean blend (or combine your choice of canned dark red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans)
- one 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt’s for no particular reason)
- one 1oz packet of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix (not to be confused with the Ranch “Dip” packets)
- garlic salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- chili powder
- olive oil (not the extra virgin kind)
- Chop bell peppers and onion(s) and add to large pot; toss with enough olive oil to lightly coat; cook over medium-high heat; stir often.
- While peppers and onions cook, brush large skillet with olive oil and add turkey meat; cook over medium-high heat, sprinkling with garlic salt to taste while turning/stirring meat until the pink meat turns white.
- When turkey meat is nearly cooked (most of the pink is gone), add crushed tomatoes, beans, and ranch packet to onions and peppers; stir until mixed.
- Add cooked turkey meat to onion/pepper pot and stir until mixed.
- Add chili powder and pepper to taste (I typically go light on the chili powder, about ½-1 tsp, but heavier on the pepper).
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until you achieve your desired thickness, typically 15-30 minutes.
- If you’ve had a bad day or a good workout, pour over chili-cheese-flavored Fritos : )