RECIPE: Natural, Healthy Orange Chicken
With the rise of social media, we are surrounded on a daily---no, hourly---basis by unattainably decorated birthday parties and magazine-worthy home décor. The pressure society places on us, or maybe the pressure we place on ourselves, to achieve this “Pinterest life” is overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be this way. When did providing your family with their basic needs become an unworthy achievement?
For me, nothing brings me greater joy, as a wife and mother, than to create a truly nutritious meal that my family will enjoy at our dinner table. Every single night, we make dinner time an event, as we sit around the table and talk about our day. The difference in my dinner table and the majority of the dinner tables across the United States is that you will not find any processed food. Two and half years ago, I embarked on a journey to remove all processed foods from our house and to feed my family actual food…you know, naturally found on this planet. We only eat meat that has been naturally raised, without the use of antibiotics and hormones, and that has been fed its natural diet, along with all organic produce. Grains, processed sugar and processed food are non-existent in our household. Why? Well, everyone has their opinion, but here is mine: those three things, especially when combined, are killing us and making us the most obese country in the world!
Now, in addition to spending time cooking for myself and my family, I have started reaching out to anyone who wants guidance in making this change for their own family. I am creating delicious recipes and, when I have spare time, writing a book about my “Unprocessed Family.” One of my main focuses is to show everyone---working, non-working, singles, moms and dads---that we can have it all! We can create amazingly-nutritious food that will fit into even the busiest lifestyle, if we just redefine our priorities. For more primal recipes and insight on a healthy lifestyle from a busy mom, please visit my blog: primalmomintheburbs.blogspot.com
Here is one of my recent creations: Primal Mom Crockpot Orange Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken breasts (organic, free range, boneless, skinless); cubed
- 4 T organic orange juice (approx. 4 oranges squeezed)
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- ½ cup raw honey
- 4 T sesame oil
- 2 T garlic powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garam masala powder
- 1 T ground ginger
- sesame seeds
- arrowroot powder (optional)
- In a large crockpot, add the cubed chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients (except arrowroot powder). Mix well, leaving no clumps. Dump liquid mixture over the chicken.
- Place lid on crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until chicken is done. Cooking time will vary, depending on the size of your chicken cubes.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and top with sesame seeds. Done!
Serves 4 with leftovers
- If you want a thicker orange chicken sauce (pictured), when the chicken is done, transfer the sauce to a saucepan. Add 1-3 Tablespoons of arrowroot powder. Mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously, until sauce gels. Mix it back with chicken to serve over the cauliflower rice.
- I mix broccoli and green onions with my cauliflower rice, sautéed in grass-fed butter.